Any member of the university community or the public may use unrestricted outdoor areas for non-commercial expressive activities on a first come, first served basis without giving prior notice if additional criteria are met.
Criteria for Public Events:
- People will assemble within 100 feet of in-session classes
- The use impedes walkways or access to buildings or other university facilities
- An event held between 10:00 pm and 8:00 am
- Conflict with a scheduled use of space
- Amplification or electrical powered equipment (other than hand-held megaphone)
- Use of electrical power (e.g., for lighting, light shows) or staking of temporary structures deeperthan 6 inches (i.e. tents)
- Displays or signs and banners requiring more than two persons to carry
- Serving food
- Bringing in animals
- Weddings, reunions, etc.
- The use otherwise violates university policy and rules.
Does one or more of the above apply to your event?
- Request the use of space. You can find a list of popular outdoor spaces that can be reserved here.
- Public events must be authorized. Complete the Event Authorization Process please read the instructions carefully before submission.
- Consider the impact your actions will have on other participants, passers by, and yourself.
- If you believe safety may be a concern, contact ISU Police for guidance.
- Student organizations should utilize your organization adviser and the Resources for Organizations
- Be aware of relevant campus policies
- Damage to Property Policy
- Disruption of Rights Policy
- Firearms and Other Weapons Policy
- Fireworks, Pyrotechnics, and Flame Effects Policy
- Outdoor Non-Commercial Expressive Activities (Free Speech)
- Public Disorder, Group Violence, and Mass Disturbance Policy
- Student Disciplinary Regulations
- Student Rights and Responsibilities
- Violence-Free University Policy