The Office of Multicultural Student Affairs will effectively support multicultural students in their personal, community and academic development. The office recognizes the richness of diversity as a part of the Iowa State University experience and will assist in promoting diverse ideas, cultures and opportunities that support student success.
Utilizing a student-centered approach, the Office of Multicultural Student Affairs (MSA) advocates for and supports Iowa State University's domestic students who self-identify as African American, American Indian/Alaskan Native, Asian American, Hawaiian/Pacific Islander, Latina/o, and/or Multiracial.
The Office of Multicultural Student Affairs (MSA) provides leadership through the development of programs and services that enhance the recruitment, transition, retention and graduation of multicultural students. Working in collaboration with University partners, the office assists in fostering a campus climate that recognizes, appreciates and shares a mutual understanding of respect for all cultures in addition to supporting students' academic, cultural, personal and social development.
The Office of Multicultural Student Affairs embraces the core values of Iowa State University: Land-grant ideals, a diversity of ideas, people, and cultures, intellectual freedom, leadership, and excellence in all we do. In addition, the office also values:
- Collaboration and Community Building
- Empowerment and Ethical Leadership
- Respect and Civility
- Social Justice and Inclusion
- Student Success and Transformative Education
The Office of Multicultural Student Affairs will:
- Develop and maintain relationships with campus partners in order to advocate and support Iowa State University's multicultural students;
- Provide academic support services that facilitate the transition, retention, persistence, and graduation of Iowa State University's multicultural students;
- Provide leadership development opportunities for students to build community, contribute to the academic experience and empower others to become change agents for social justice;
- Serve as a resource to faculty, staff and students regarding Iowa State University's multicultural students;
- Support a safe campus environment where Iowa State University multicultural students have a sense of belonging and connection; and
- Support and challenge students to explore their ethics and values on personal, social and professional levels.
Meet the MSA Team