All students requesting academic adjustments, accommodations, or auxiliary aids from the Iowa State University are required to submit documentation of their disability the Student Disability Resources Office to verify eligibility under the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act of 2008, Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA of 1990), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and Student Disability Resources' policies. It is strongly recommended that students initiate a request for services and/or reasonable accommodations when admission to Iowa State University is confirmed and then consider the need for appropriate documentation to assist Student Disability Resources in determining eligibility for services (see below). Appropriate documentation must be on file with the SDR office before eligibility determination and/or discussion related to accommodation requests is completed.
With this in mind, documentation on file for the applicant must:
1. be current - i.e., completed within the last 5 years for LD, last 6 months for psychiatric disabilities, or last 3 years for ADHD and all other disabilities (NOTE: this requirement does not apply to physical or sensory disabilities of a permanent or unchanging nature)
2. clearly state the diagnosed disability or disabilities
3. describe the functional limitations resulting from the disability or disabilities
4. include complete educational, developmental, and medical history relevant to the disability for which testing accommodations are being requested
5. include a list of all test instruments used in the evaluation report and relevant subtest scores used to document the stated disability (this requirement does not apply to physical or sensory disabilities of a permanent or unchanging nature)
6. describe the specific accommodations requested to assist in academic endeavors
7. adequately support each of the requested testing accommodation(s)
8. be typed on official letterhead and be signed/dated by an evaluator qualified to make the diagnosis (include information about license or certification and area of specialization).
Report Format for Accommodation Request
The following information must be included in the TYPED REPORT.