Tutoring is an excellent opportunity to build your communication skills, keep up your knowledge of completed coursework, and help others. It can also help build your resume for future jobs!
Each semester, we hire more than 300 undergraduate tutors and provide training and professional development opportunities. Based on policies of the graduate college, we cannot hire graduate students.
Tutors provide academic support to students in a variety of undergraduate courses and help shape students' expereince at Iowa State. A variety of workshops are held each semester to help you become a better tutor.
Job Description and Requirements
All tutors earn $9.50 an hour. Each tutoring group meets at a consistent day and time twice a week for hour hour during the academic year and three times per week during the summer.
Job Description: (MSWORD) (PDF)
- Earned a grade of B or higher or received AP credits in course(s) you want to tutor.
- Must have at least a cumulative GPA of 2.5.
- Must be an undergraduate student currently enrolled at Iowa State University.
- Must have completed at least one (1) semester at Iowa State University.
- Knowledge of subject matter
- Ability to effectively communicate subject matter
- Respect toward others (tutees, tutors, ASC staff, etc.)
- Respect for different learning styles including active learning and peer-to-peer techniques
- Interest in teaching and helping others learn in groups of 2-4 students
- Ability to listen and answer questions during tutoring sessions
- Good time management skills
If you are interested in being a tutor, the process consists of the following steps:
- Complete or test out of the course(s) you would like to tutor. Preference is given to tutors who have completed the coursework at ISU.
- Complete an online application.
- After your application is submitted, we will contact you to schedule an interview if we need tutors for the subjects you selected.
- You and other tutor applicants will interview together. This is your chance to demonstrate the skills we look for in our tutors as you participate in small group (3-4) activities. If you require accommodations for your interview please let us know when you schedule your interview.
- Complete a short online quiz with 80% pass rate.
- Hiring decisions are based on your application responses, interview, and successful completion of the online quiz and orientation.
- Complete required human resource forms. These forms must be returned prior to orientation.
Please note: ASC reserves the right to limit hours and/or requests for courses submitted by tutors at any point in the semester.
If you have questions about becoming a tutor, please call 515-294-6624 or e-mail email@example.com