Photo provided by Special Collections Department / Iowa State University Library
Become a Tutor
Tutoring is an excellent opportunity to build your communication skills, keep up your knowledge of completed coursework, and help others. It can also help build your resume for future jobs!
Each semester, we hire more than 300 undergraduate tutors and provide training and professional development opportunities. Based on policies of the graduate college, we cannot hire graduate students. Undergraduate students interested in becoming a tutor should review our list of current tutoring needs.
Tutors provide academic support to students in a variety of undergraduate courses and help shape students' experience at Iowa State. A variety of workshops are held each semester to help you become a better tutor.
Job Description and Requirements
All tutors earn $9.50 an hour. Each tutoring group meets at a consistent day and time twice a week for one hour during the academic year and three times per week during the summer.
- Earned a grade of B or higher in course(s) you want to tutor.
- Must have at least a cumulative GPA of 2.5.
- Must be an undergraduate student currently enrolled at Iowa State University.
- Must have completed at least one (1) semester at Iowa State University.
- Knowledge of subject matter.
- Ability to effectively communicate subject matter.
- Respect toward others (tutees, tutors, ASC staff, etc.).
- Respect for different learning styles including active learning and peer-to-peer techniques.
- Interest in teaching and helping others learn in groups of 2-4 students.
- Ability to listen and answer questions during tutoring sessions.
- Good time management skills.
- Serve as a group facilitator, not a second lecturer.
- Set goals and/or expectations during the first few sessions.
- Provide support for content and concept understanding not direct answers to anything graded (homework, projects, quizzes, etc.).
- Help tutee(s) learn how to learn the material.
- Help tutee(s) refine study skills and become independent learners.
Please review the Policy Statement for Tutors for further information related to general policies, expectations, performance and evaluations, continued employment, and payment for hours worked.
If you are interested in being a tutor, the process consists of the following steps:
- Complete or test out of the course(s) you would like to tutor. Preference is given to tutors who have completed the coursework at Iowa State.
- Review our list of current tutoring needs. We can only offer tutoring for a course that has been requested.
- Complete an application. In the summer, applications are limited to returning tutors.
- Schedule an interview. Interviews take place in groups. This is your chance to demonstrate the skills we look for in our tutors. If you require accommodations for your interview please let us know when you schedule your interview.
- Read the tutoring handbook and blackboard resources.
- Complete a short online quiz with 80% pass rate.
- Complete required human resource forms. These forms must be returned prior to orientation.
- Attend new tutor orientation (2 hours).
Please note: Hiring decisions are based on your application responses, interview, and successful completion of the online quiz and orientation. ASC reserves the right to limit hours and/or requests for courses submitted by tutors at any point in the semester.
If you have a question regarding Tutoring Services look over our Frequently Asked Questions. For all other inquiries, please call our office (515-294-6624), e-mail email@example.com, or contact our staff directly.