Tutoring is an excellent opportunity to build your communication skills, keep up your knowledge of completed coursework, and help others. It can also help build your resume for future jobs!
Each semester, over 300 undergraduate tutors are hired and trained to provide academic support to students in a variety of undergraduate courses. Based on policies of the graduate college, we cannot hire graduate students. A variety of workshops are held each semester to help you be a better tutor.
All Tutors earn $9.50 an hour.
Job Description: (MSWORD) (PDF)
What are the Requirements?
- Earned a grade of B or higher or received AP credits in course(s) you want to tutor.
- Must have at least a cumulative GPA of 2.5.
- Must be an undergraduate student currently enrolled at Iowa State University.
- Must have completed at least one (1) semester at Iowa State University.
- Knowledge of subject matter
- Ability to effectively communicate subject matter
- Respect toward others (tutees, tutors, ASC staff, etc.)
- Respect for different learning styles including active learning and peer-to-peer techniques
- Interest in teaching and helping others learn in groups of 2-4 students
- Ability to listen and answer questions during tutoring sessions
- Good time management skills
How do I become a Tutor?
If you are interested in being a tutor, the process consists of the following steps:
- Completed or tested out of the course(s) you would like to tutor. Preference is given to tutors who have completed the coursework at ISU.
- Complete an online application.
- After your application is submitted, we will contact you to schedule an interview if we need tutors for the subjects you selected.
- You and other tutor applicants will interview together. This is your chance to demonstrate the skills we look for in our tutors as you participate in small group (3-4) activities. If you require accommodations for your interview please let us know when you schedule your interview.
- Complete a short online quiz with 80% pass rate.
- Hiring decisions are based on your application responses, interview, and successful completion of the online quiz and orientation.
- Complete required human resource forms.
Please note: ASC reserves the right to limit hours and/or requests for courses submitted by tutors at any point in the semester.
If you have questions about becoming a tutor, please call 294-6624 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org